Monday, March 9, 2015

Monday Morning Gratitude 09.03.2015

Some of the most magical moments are unexpected. A few weeks ago we visited our local library. We hadn't had a chance since our move here last summer.

When we first entered I was a little surprised. It is in a section of the basement of the city hall. A fairly small but well organized space. The friendly girl at the counter set us up with our new cards and then sent us on our way to find ourselves a new reading companion to take home.

We parted ways to explore the coves of books before us. I quickly searched for the English area. I was completely blown away. Rows and rows of English books were waiting for my perusal. It took me literally under 5 minutes to find a series of books that interested me. I took all 4 under my arm and skipped along to tell Hubster I found what I was looking for. I even have my eye on a few books for next time.

I know it seems like such a small thing but the last place we lived "Anglophones" were not always welcome and finding books in English was a tough task. I had offered to donate some of my personal collection but was scoffed at. As a huge lover of books it stung me. Libraries should always be a welcoming place for the entire community.

It's just one more thing that makes me love our current village, Rawdon. The sense of community and the welcoming nature of everyone makes me feel lucky to live here. It reminds me of my life back on Vancouver Island.

I'm sure the girl behind the counter had no idea how much the experience made my day. I left grinning ear to ear and have had some great books to read over the last few weeks. I can't wait until my next visit!

Do you visit your local library? Who is your favorite author?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Feedback is always welcome.